Part 1 — Course Topics Overview
- Radio-frequency identification (RFID),
- Data storage and analysis,
- Speech interfaces,
- Smart cities and homes,
- Location tracking.
Part 2 — Fundamental of M2M communication
- What is a sensor network? What is ad-hoc network?
- Wireless vs. Wireline network
- WiFi- 802.11 families: N to S — application of standards and common vendors.
- Zigbee and Zwave — advantage of low power mesh networking. Long distance Zigbee. Introduction to different Zigbee chips.
- Bluetooth/BLE: Low power vs. high power, speed of detection, class of BLE. Introduction of Bluetooth vendors & their review.
- Creating network with Wireless protocols such as Piconet by BLE
- Protocol stacks and packet structure for BLE and Zigbee
- Other long distance RF communication link
- LOS vs. NLOS links
- Capacity and throughput calculation
- Application issues in wireless protocols — power consumption, reliability, PER, QoS, LOS
- Hands on training with sensor network
- PICO NET- BLE Base network
- Zigbee network-master/slave communication
- Data Hubs : MC and single computer ( like Beaglebone ) based datahub
Part 3 — Review of Electronics Platform, production and cost projection
- PCB vs. FPGA vs. ASIC design-how to take decision
- Prototyping electronics vs. Production electronics
- QA certificate for IoT- CE/CSA/UL/IEC/RoHS/IP65: What are those and when needed?
- Basic introduction of multi-layer PCB design and its workflow
- Electronics reliability-basic concept of FIT and early mortality rate
- Environmental and reliability testing-basic concepts
- Basic Open source platforms: Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Beaglebone, when needed?
- RedBack, Diamond Back
Part 4 — Conceiving a new IoT product- Product requirement document for IoT
- State of the present art and review of existing technology in the market place
- Suggestion for new features and technologies based on market analysis and patent issues
- Detailed technical specs for new products- System, software, hardware, mechanical, installation etc.
- Packaging and documentation requirements
- Servicing and customer support requirements
- High level design (HLD) for understanding of product concept
- Release plan for phase wise introduction of the new features
- Skill set for the development team and proposed project plan -cost & duration
- Target manufacturing price
Part 5 — Analytic Engine for IoT
- Insight analytic
- Visualization analytic
- Structured predictive analytic
- Unstructured predictive analytic
- Recommendation Engine
- Pattern detection
- Rule/Scenario discovery — failure, fraud, optimization
- Root cause discovery
Part 6 — Security in IoT implementation
- Why security is absolutely essential for IoT
- Mechanism of security breach in IOT layer
- Privacy enhancing technologies
- Fundamental of network security
- Encryption and cryptography implementation for IoT data
- Security standard for available platform
- European legislation for security in IoT platform
- Secure booting
- Device authentication
- Firewalling and IPS